Okras, but then… without slime! Does that sound too good to be true? You will still succeed with this delicious okra fried rice. A one-pan dish with chicken, okra, long beans and of course rice. You can find most of these products at the Surinamese or Chinese toko. In the larger cities, the vegetables are already in the supermarket!
It's not easy to get tropical products with us in Sliedrecht. A trip to Rotterdam is almost a must. Every now and then we take the time and then we get these delicious okras and long beans at the toko. Sometimes I have to stop myself, otherwise I'll take half the vegetable shelf with me!
With these products we made this okra fried rice. A tasty and healthy dish with the bonus that the okras do not become slimy due to baking at a high temperature. What else do you want?
This recipe is for 4-6 people, depending on the hunger they have;)
- 350 gr chicken fillet
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 30 gr butter
- 1 large tablespoon of massala or curry
- ½ tl of salt
- 1 stock cube, crumbled
- 350 g long grain rice
(we used parboiled rice)
- 200 gr long beans, in pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 200 gr okra, in thin rings
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce or ketjap Manis
- 1 Adjuma or Madame Jeanette pepper
- A sprig of cilantro, chopped finely
- Optional: plantain, for baking in slices
Preparation of okra fried rice
Cook the rice in salted water until done. When the rice is cooked, you can let it cool to room temperature.
Then start preparing the chicken. To do this, cut the chicken fillet into small cubes and mix the massala through it. Also add the salt and mix well.
Now heat the oil and butter over medium heat and fry the chicken cubes in it, until they turn brown all around. Remove the chicken from the pan and reduce the heat. Now fry the chopped onion and garlic in the fat left over from baking the chicken. Do you use a hot pepper? Then add it now *
Cut the okra into rings and the garter into pieces of about 3 cm. Add this to the contents of the pan and fry over high heat. Due to the high temperature, the moisture from the okras will evaporate immediately and you prevent it from forming a slimy layer.
Fry the vegetables together over medium heat until tender. This takes about 10 minutes.
Then remove the vegetables from the pan and add them to the chicken.
Then clean the pan and reheat 2 tbsp oil and 30 g butter until the butter turns brown. Fry the rice on high heat. Now also add the soy sauce and stir until all rice grains are covered with a layer of sauce.
Then again put the chicken and vegetables (with the rice) in the pan and stir fry the dish for a few minutes. Then serve it with some chopped coriander and possibly some fried banana slices - eat tasty!
* Tip: add hot pepper to the okra fried rice
The hot Adjuma or Madame Jeanette pepper can be added to the dish in different ways, depending on how hot you want it:
- Whole - add the pepper to the vegetables in the pan and simmer until tender. Make sure it doesn't break. This gives you some flavor, but (almost) no heat. Remove the pepper after stewing. You can then chop it (so if it is soft) and mix it with some oil. This way, anyone who likes spicy can scoop a little on their plate.
- Incised - Put the pepper whole in the dish, but cut 1 or 2x an opening in the side with a knife. This gives you the taste and a little bit of heat. We stew the pepper in this way, so the children can also eat.
- Chopped into pieces - Add half or whole chopped pepper for maximum flavor and heat. Note: only for advanced! ;)
Do you love okra? Then try our traditional okra soup (jambo)!
Do you have our new website SOULFOOD.NL seen already? There you will find many more delicious recipes that not all come from the Antillean kitchen!
For the latest videos you can subscribe to us for free Youtube Channel.